Self-care during COVID-19
It’s normal to feel anxious as we navigate through uncertainty and it’s more important than ever to prioritize self-care during times of change. Here are some tips and coping strategies as shared by the members of Arthritis Research Canada’s Patient Advisory Board:
- Get plenty of rest, eat well, and continue to exercise.
- Manage stress and regain a sense of control by establishing routines and creating schedules for work, sleep and leisure.
- Plan your days and prepare ahead to reduce uncertainty.
- Schedule your walks during off-peak hours (beginning or end of the day).
- Shop during “vulnerable people hours” or use delivery services. If further assistance is required, kindly ask neighbours or friends to shop and deliver for you.
- Take advantage of online medical appointments to reduce risk and renew prescriptions.
- Stay connected with friends and family through phone or video chats during self-quarantine.
- Learn a new skill through free online courses or unleash your creativity with an art project.
- Limit your media consumption of COVID-19 news.
- Practice meditation and seek out for professional support when needed.
These times may be tough, but so are we! It’s important to maintain a regular routine and equip yourself with the proper tools to adjust to this “new normal.” One thing is certain: research has proven time and again that people with all forms of arthritis can benefit tremendously from exercise and self-care.