Participate in Research
Empowering active self-management of arthritis: Raising the bar with OPERAS (an On-demand Program to EmpoweR Active Self-management)
Start and end date:
February 2019 – February 2021
Do you have rheumatoid arthritis? Want to learn more about self-care for rheumatoid arthritis? We invite you to test a program for monitoring arthritis symptoms and physical activity. You will receive a Fitbit and coaching from a physiotherapist.
You are eligible if you:
- Have rheumatoid arthritis
- Reside in the Greater Vancouver Area (British Columbia)
- Have no joint surgery or injury to any joints in the past 6 months
- Have access to a computer or mobile device and the internet
Why do this research?
We will research an online intervention app called OPERAS (On-demand Program to EmpoweR Active Self-management) in community settings, in order to address a much needed but under-researched area in the current care for patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), namely active self-management. This project builds on a decade-long partnership between researchers, patients and clinicians to improve the health of people with RA. The research will address the following: Can an online program, combining symptom/disease activity monitoring and physical activity counselling by a physiotherapist (PT) improve self-management ability in people with RA?
What will be done?
After a baseline assessment, we will randomly assign participants to receive the program immediately or in 6 months. All will receive:
- an orientation to the OPERAS web app
- an education session about physical activity and self care
- a Fitbit Inspire, which links to the app – yours to keep as our Thank You!
During their enrollment, participants will receive follow-up phone calls from their study PT, as well as follow-up assessments at the beginning of the study, and at six and twelve months.
Who is on the research team?
Principal Investigator: Dr. Linda Li PT, PhD; Professor, University of British Columbia; Senior Research Scientist, Arthritis Research Canada
- Dr, Diane Lacaille, MD, MHSc, FRCPC, Senior Scientist, Arthritis Research Canada; Professor and Associate Head Academic Affairs, Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia
- Dr. Teresa Liu-Ambrose, PT, PhD, Professor, Department of Physiotherapy, University of British Columbia
- Catherine Backman, PhD, OT(C), FCAOT, Professor and Head, Department of Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy, University of British Columbia; Research Scientist, Arthritis Research Canada
- Chris Shaw, PhD, Associate Professor, Simon Fraser University
- Dr. John Esdaile, MD, MPH, FRCPC, Scientific Director, Arthritis Research Canada; Professor of Medicine, University of British Columbia
- Rob Petrella, MD, PhD, Professor, School of Kinesiology, Western University
- Lynne Feehan, BScPT, MSc, PhD, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Physiotherapy, University of British Columbia
- Paul Adam, MSW, Rheumatology Liaison and Outreach Services Coordinator, Mary Pack Arthritis Program
- Kimberly Miller, BScPT, MSc, PhD, Senior Leader, Clinical Education & Special Projects, Rehabilitation & Development Management, Sunny Hill Centre for Children; Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Health Sciences, SFU
- Charles Goldsmith, MSc, PhD, Professor, Biostatistics, Simon Fraser University
- Alison Hoens, PT, KB, BC Support Unit
- Cheryl Koehn, President, Arthritis Consumer Experts
Technology Partner: Tactica Interactive