Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale (QBPDS)
The QBPDs is a 20-item self-administered questionnaire developed by Kopec and colleagues and designed to measure disability associated with back pain. The scale is widely used in research and clinical practice, and has been translated to many languages. Measurement properties of the QBPDS have been described in several peer-reviewed publications.
The QBPDS is distributed by the MAPI Research Trust.
For permission to use please email: PROinformation@mapi-trust.org.
1. The Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale: conceptualization and development. Kopec JA, Esdaile JM, Abrahamowicz M, Abenhaim L, Wood-Dauphinee S, Lamping DL, Williams JI. J Clin Epidemiol. 1996 Feb;49(2):151-61.
2. The Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale. Measurement properties. Kopec JA, Esdaile JM, Abrahamowicz M, Abenhaim L, Wood-Dauphinee S, Lamping DL, Williams JI. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1995 Feb 1;20(3):341-52.
3. A comparison of five low back disability questionnaires: reliability and responsiveness. Davidson M, Keating JL. Phys Ther. 2002 Jan;82(1):8-24.
4. Concurrent validity of questionnaire and performance-based disability measurements in patients with chronic nonspecific low back pain. Reneman MF, Jorritsma W, Schellekens JM, Göeken LN. J Occup Rehabil. 2002 Sep;12(3):119-29.
5. Low back pain disability assessment tools. Calmels P, Béthoux F, Condemine A, Fayolle-Minon I. Ann Readapt Med Phys. 2005 Jul;48(6):288-97. Epub 2005 Apr 26. Review. French.
6. Critical comparison of nine different self-administered questionnaires for the evaluation of disability caused by low back pain. Rocchi MB, Sisti D, Benedetti P, Valentini M, Bellagamba S, Federici A. Eura Medicophys. 2005 Dec;41(4):275-81.
7. Minimal clinically important change for pain intensity, functional status, and general health status in patients with nonspecific low back pain. van der Roer N, Ostelo RW, Bekkering GE, van Tulder MW, de Vet HC. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2006 Mar 1;31(5):578-82.
8. Interpreting change scores for pain and functional status in low back pain: towards international consensus regarding minimal important change. Ostelo RW, Deyo RA, Stratford P, Waddell G, Croft P, Von Korff M, Bouter LM, de Vet HC. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008 Jan 1;33(1):90-4.
9. Psychometric properties of commonly used low back disability questionnaires: are they useful for older adults with low back pain? Hicks GE, Manal TJ. Pain Med. 2009 Jan;10(1):85-94.
10. Sensitivity to change of the Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale and the Dallas Pain Questionnaire. Wilhelm F, Fayolle-Minon I, Phaner V, Le-Quang B, Rimaud D, Béthoux F, Calmels P. Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2010 Feb;53(1):15-23. Epub 2009 Nov 14.
11. Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale was responsive and showed reasonable interpretability after a multidisciplinary treatment. Demoulin C, Ostelo R, Knottnerus JA, Smeets RJ. J Clin Epidemiol. 2010 Nov;63(11):1249-55. Epub 2010 Apr 18.
12. Reliability and validity of the Dutch adaptation of the Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale. Schoppink LE, van Tulder MW, Koes BW, Beurskens SA, de Bie RA. Phys Ther. 1996 Mar;76(3):268-75.
13. Validity of the French-language version of the Quebec back pain disability scale in low back pain patients in France. Yvanes-Thomas M, Calmels P, Béthoux F, Richard A, Nayme P, Payre D, Laurent B. Joint Bone Spine. 2002 Jun;69(4):397-405.
14. The Oswestry Disability Index, the Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire, and the Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale: translation and validation studies of the Iranian versions. Mousavi SJ, Parnianpour M, Mehdian H, Montazeri A, Mobini B. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2006 Jun 15;31(14):E454-9.
15. Validation of the Turkish version of the Quebec back pain disability scale for patients with low back pain. Melikoglu MA, Kocabas H, Sezer I, Bilgilisoy M, Tuncer T. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009 Mar 15;34(6):E219-24.
16. Psychometric properties and cross-cultural adaptation of the Brazilian Quebec back pain disability scale questionnaire. Rodrigues MF, Michel-Crosato E, Cardoso JR, Traebert J. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009 Jun 1;34(13):E459-64.
17. Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale, Low Back Outcome Score and revised Oswestry low back pain disability scale for patients with low back pain due to degenerative disc disease: evaluation of Polish versions. Misterska E, Jankowski R, Glowacki M. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2011 Dec 15;36(26):E1722-9.
18. Validity and reliability of the Greek version of the Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale. Christakou A, Andriopoulou M, Asimakopoulos P. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2011;24(3):145-54.
19. Validation of the Korean Version of the Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale. Suh KT, Kim JI, Lim JM, Goh TS, Lee JS. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2012 Dec;25(8):447-50.
20. Translation, adaptation and validation of the Moroccan version of the Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale. Bendeddouche I, Rostom S, Bahiri R, Boudali A, Srifi N, Mawani N, Mengat M, El Badri D, Lazrak N, Abouqal R, Allali F, Hajjaj-Hassouni N. Clin Rheumatol. 2012 Jun;31(6):943-9.
21. Validation of the Arabic version of the Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale. Alnahhal A, May S. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). Epub 2012 Oct 2.
22. A valid cross-culturally adapted simplified Chinese version of the Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale. Wei X, Yi H, Wu B, Qi M, Liu X, Chen Z, Zhang G, Zhang W, Chen Z, Yang Z, Chen J, Yang C, Bai Y, Li J, Zhu X, Li M. J Clin Epidemiol. 2012 Dec;65(12):1321-8