Head, UBC, St. Paul's and VGH Divisions of Rheumatology
Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia
Dr. Kam Shojania is a leader in the field of rheumatology. His research specialty is the efficacy of different medications on the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis.
Dr. Shojania graduated from the University of British Columbia’s Faculty of Medicine in 1989 and interned at the University of Manitoba. He was a resident in internal medicine and then chief medical resident at the University of British Columbia. After serving as a fellow in rheumatology at UBC, he joined the University’s Faculty of Medicine as 1995. One year later, he was named Medical Director of the Vancouver Pain Clinic, a position he held for five years. He was awarded the Clinical Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching from the UBC Faculty of Medicine in 2003.
The Arthritis Society awarded Dr. Shojania a Clinician Teacher Award in 2001 to improve the teaching curriculum in rheumatology and attract new recruits to the field. As part of this five-year grant, Dr. Shojania set up a rheumatology teaching Web site to inform and educate medical students and residents about rheumatology.
In addition to his research, Dr. Shojania has a limited private practice at St. Paul's Hospital and was the director of Clinical Trials with the Arthritis Research Centre of Canada from 2000 to 20006 and continues to do clinical trials there. He is Head of Rheumatology at both St. Paul's Hospital and Vancouver General Hospital.
A frequent lecturer, media guest and conference participant on the subject of arthritis, Dr. Shojania has made presentations across North America and Europe. He has also authored articles and book chapters on the treatment of arthritis.
At UBC, Dr. Shojania is Head of Rhematology and serves as the Postgraduate Program Director for Rheumatology. He is Chair of the Rheumatology Post Graduate Fellowship Committee and is a past member of the Clinical Research Ethics Board. He is a fellow with the American College of Rheumatology, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and the Canadian Rheumatology Association, where he sits on the Education, Scientific and Abstract Selection Committees. He is a member of the Canadian Rheumatology Research Consortium.
Publications since 2005:
- Katchamart W Bourré-Tessier J; Donka T; Drouin J; Rohekar G; Bykerk VP; Haraoui B; Leclerq S; Mosher D; Pope JE; Shojania K; Thomson J; Thorne JC; Bombardier C. Canadian recommendations for use of methotrexate in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol 2010;37(7):1422-30
- Shojania K, Ratzlaff M. Group visits for rheumatoid arthritis. A pilot study. Clin Rheumatol. 2009;29(6):625
- Hemmati I, Ensworth S, Shojania K. Coarctation of the Aorta in an Infant Exposed to Etanercept in Utero. J Rheumatol 2009;36(12):2848
- Choi HK. Al-Arfaj AM. Eftekhari A. Munk PL. Shojania K. Reid G. Nicolaou S. Dual energy computed tomography in tophaceous gout. Ann Rheum Dis 2009;68(10):1609-12
- Maksymowych, WP, Rahman, P, Shojania, K, Olszynski, WP, Thomson, GTD, Ballal, S, Wong, RL, Inman, RD. Beneficial effects of adalimumab on biomarkers reflecting structural damage in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. J Rheumatol 2008;35:2030;7.
- Cibere J, Thorne A, Bellamy N, Greidanus N, Chalmers A, Mahomed N, Shojania K, Kopec J, Esdaile JM. Reliability of the hip examination in osteoarthritis: Effect of standardization. Arthritis Rheum 2008;59:373-81.
- Reynolds J, Shojania K, Marra CA. Abatacept: A novel treatment for moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis. Pharmacotherapy 2007;27(12):1693-701.
- Maksymowych, WP, Gladman D, Rahman P, Boonen A, Bykerk V, Choquette D, Dimond S, Fortin P, Karsh J, Klinkhoff AV, Mosher D, Mulholland K, Olszynski WP, Russell AS, Savage L, Shanner L, Shojania K, Starr M, Thomson G, Zummer M, Inman R. The Canadian Rheumatology Association/Spondylitis Research Consortium of Canada treatment recommendations for the management of Spondyloarthritis: A national multidisciplinary stakeholder project. J Rheumatol 2007;34:2273-84.
- Kherani RB, Shojania K. Septic arthritis in patients with pre-existing inflammatory arthritis. CMAJ 176:1605-8.
- de Gannes GC, Ghoreishi M, Pope J, Russell A, Bell D, Adams S, Shojania K, Martinka M, Dutz JP. Psoriasis and pustular dermatitis triggered by TNF alpha inhibitors in patients with rheumatologic conditions. Arch Dermatol 2007;143:223-31.
- Iverson GL, Le Page J, Koehler BK, Shojania K, Badii M. Test of memory malingering (TOMM) scores are not affected by chronic pain or depression in patients with fibromyalgia. Clinical Neuropsychologist 2007;21:532-46
- Dunne J. Dutz J. Shojania K. Ng B. van Eeden S. Treatment of severe Raynaud's phenomenon with bosentan in a patient with systemic sclerosis. Rheumatology. 2006;45:911-2.
Marra CA, Woolcott JC, Kopec JA, Shojania K, Offer R, Brazier JE, Esdaile JM, Anis AH. A comparison of generic, indirect utility measures (the HU12, HU13, SF-6D, and the EQ 5D) and disease-specific instruments (the RAQoL and the HAQ) in rheumatoid arthritis. Soc Sci Med. 2005;60:1571-82.